Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beautiful Legs


A favorite image revisited from my very first post.  I spent some time revisiting a few projects this week that were left mid project for what ever reason.  I found this butterfly jointed table a few years ago and have always had plans to refinish it once time permitted.  It had a horrible red toned stain on it that would wipe of if you rubbed up against it.


Some of you might remember the before picture.  It acts as our kitchen island.  This small kitchen table has beautiful lines and details on the legs.  Not to mention porcelain wheels.  On the opposite end I attached an old metal towel rod for hand towels. (why didn't I take pictures?)  


Earlier in the summer before the heat I refinished the top with a dark walnut and paste wax.  I was a bit disappointed that the butterfly hinges didn't stand out anymore but lesson learned.  Two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Old White gave it a nice compliment to the dark top.


This a picture to show how the table looks without being distressed.  I fully believe distressing makes the piece shine.  All of the turns and creases will be highlighted.  Just like putting blush on.


Lightly sanded.  This paint is a dream to sand.  Powder puddles filled the floor below.  I ran the sandpaper over the parts that would get the normal wear and tear as well as the ones I want to show off.


It is anchored now instead of flowing into the floor.  It really does have beautiful legs.  Nice to mark another project off the list...that means I have room to add a few more!

10 comments:

Susan from The T-Cozy said...

A wonderful transformation! Your table looks so much better with white legs. Great job!

Mary said...

I just love what you did with it. I've never worked with chalk paint, but you have given me the push I needed. I showed DH your completed project and he really loved it as well.

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'll be sharing this post with my mother later this week. She's constantly re-purposing furniture and you've done such a splendid job with this piece. Gorgeous.

Hearts Turned said...

Oh my goodness, Renee--it's just gorgeous! The best legs I've seen in a LONG time! You did a beautiful job with this--I think it's very happy in your warm, cozy kitchen...

Julie

Jane said...

It's beautiful!
Jane-Jacksonville

donna said...

Renee you did a beautiful job. I too love how distressed furniture turns out.
Hugs
donna

GardenOfDaisies said...

Renee, your table island looks wonderful! You are so right, the distressing adds the perfect highlights and allows the intricate shape of the legs to show up! A truly lovely addition to your kitchen.

Nicole said...

wow this looks great you are super creative! What lovely idea using that as a kitchen island- and even better as you made these personal touches. Thanks for sharing :)

ImagiMeri said...

Beautiful job missy, love it.

Hey, could you send me your address again to my email.....I've lost it somehow.

Hugs,
Meri

Mecky said...

That is a beautiful table! I like what you did to it. Just perfect!