Monday, January 24, 2011

Dear Jane,


Oh, how I love a good pattern!  This one is a new find from http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/
Miss Alicia Paulson's design.  It was very simple to follow and took a little over an hour to complete.  The straps were the hardest part. You can purchase the pattern from her website via pdf.  


This is my first version and certainly not my last.  The center pocket is a vintage kitchen tea towel.  I used the ribbon trim from the towel to make the strap.  Some polka dots to add contrast and a vintage table cloth for lining.  Rick rack for trim and vintage button sandwiches for kicks.  



The pocket is nice and deep and has a twin on the other side.  There are no pockets on the inside.  Something I think that I will add to the next bag, a s well as a key ring clip.  I hate digging for keys.


Although I really like the pattern of the X stitching on the strap, I'm not sold on the idea of sewing straps on the outside.  Another thing I think I will change, move the straps inside and make them a touch wider.  They seem too dainty for this bag.  (It is highly likely that it is just me.)  The bag is substantial enough to need bigger handles.


This great tablecloth has been waiting for the perfect pattern.  I absolutely love the square base of this bag.  The pattern asks for a cardboard base, I used heavy interfacing pillow cased inside the lining fabric.
  
Now, I wonder how many people on my list will get this for Christmas?

I am linking this up to Sewing Christmas over at Sewn with Grace  http://sewnwithgrace.blogspot.com/.  A big thank you to Renee for hosting.

7 comments:

Nan said...

Renee I love Alicia Paulson's patterns and have bought several from her for the Christmas ornaments. A Walk in the Woods is one and then this year she had the polar bear, red coat, and mitten (which was too hard for me) Your fabric selection is right up my alley I love these choices!! I have a variety of bags I've been using for the store. Good going girl !!

GerryART said...

Great Colors ! ! !
Zippy, Bright ! !
Love it !

Hugs,
Gerry

Sewn With Grace said...

This is adorable!! I love your choice of colors and patterns. Can I be on your Christmas list? :) It's wonderful!

Scrap for Joy said...

Your tote is a-DOR-able! I love the inside as much as the outside...I can't live without outside pockets and the tea towels worked out great for this tote. Alicia is uber-talented but then you're well on your way, too. The treasures you picked up were great...love the little child's hankies. I've never seen any like that. Your Valentine is really sweet and I would never have thought to use snaps for wheels...clever!!
Have a great week...stay warm!
xoxo
Joyce

DianeM said...

It's beautiful! I love your use of the vintage dish towel :)
Smiles, DianeM

craftyles said...

You did a great job. The colors are fabulous! Love that you used a vintage dish towel. Very creative!

kluless said...

Beautiful! I love your fabric choices.