I am a frequent viewer over at the Ucreate with me blog/website. This month their are hosting an apron sew along. I have never sewn an apron. I own a lot of aprons, but never took a fancy to sew one...until Miss Keren from Free Pretty Things...sent me the link and prompted me along. Not one to play by the rules or the trends, I wanted something that reflected me and my style. Something that no one else had. Bring on the vintage linens.
|Photo courtesy UCreate|
The due date for this apron is February 26th...but I am giving you all the sneak peak.
Here is the link to Ucreate and the cute little pattern they provided via Sugar Bee creations. I however, just went off her pictures and provided my own dimensions and pattern. Basic bib apron idea. You can use the provided pattern for her exact measurements. Because I am petite, rarely does a pattern fit. Maybe that's why I sew so much.
When I started to go through my usual supplies of tablecloths and tea towels I came up blank. Too busy and nothing new. Then I remembered my stash of pillowcases, most I snatched up at estate sales for a few cents be cause of holes and stains. The only part I wanted (the embroidery and trim) were still in good shape.
I cut each end of the pillow case off with a rotary cutter at the 5 inch mark depending on the embroidery. Then I made sure to cut the back in half to center the embroidered part for full width. In other words, I didn't cut my pillow case in half at the seam, instead I opened it up and cut it at the back after centering the embroidered part. A gathering stitch was placed along the top and stitched to the skirt portion of the apron in staggered rows of ruffles.
Oh the fun of using someones work for something new. Look at the trims and stitches. I took full advantage of the contrast and layers.
Not all vintage...I did throw in a new Moda print to tie it all together. A snap is hidden under the covered button at the neck.
For the backside of the apron I used the remnant of one of the pillowcase.
The bib part is a sweet little pillowcase with yellow trim. I took full advantage of this and matched the Moda fabric to it.
I went back and forth with whether or not to sew the ruffles down along the edge of the apron. In the end I decided I liked the flowing effect it had detached better.
The Sugar Bee pattern was really simple and I needed to add that vintage flair and femininity. I think you could easily alter any bib apron and get the same effect. Let your imagination run...I had fun when I did. Of course I would probably change a few things that I added in how I put them on, but over all I really like how it came out.
I would have made the ties longer and had the bow come around front for a more feminine look. Well, there's always next time. I'll let you know when these post over at Ucreate.
I forgot to add that I am linking this up to Sewing Christmas over at Renee's Sewn with Grace. Pop over and see all the great projects.