Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mother's Day Apron


Another nod to Mother's Day today.  I have finished Miss Gerry's apron in plenty of time.  It has been nicely pressed and is ready for wrapping.  I had hoped the patchwork would have stood out more, but all in all it turned out pretty cute.  Nan remarked at how heavy the apron was when she received hers.  I have a thing about lining.  Finished edges always look best to me.  


You cannot see the patchwork squares in the corner but there is a bit of detail if you look hard enough.


The ruffle slopes up the back gently and the waist ended up being an empire height.  Many adjustments were made to finalize this.  Love the full coverage of the skirt for Sunday best.  Miss Gerry always dons an apron for Sunday Supper.  On another note I went back and forth as to whether or not to put darts in.  I think I will next time.


A signature ruffle.  Finished with a hem stitch.


These reproduction feed sack fabrics have been fantastic to sew with.   It is easy to see why these were popular in the past.  You can match them with almost anything.
Nice to see two pieces of embroidery saved and salvaged. 
 Sweet memories headed to a wonderful mom.  

13 comments:

Cross Stitch Crazy Mum said...

it looks stunning! Im sure she'll love it :-)

ImagiMeri said...

Hi Renee,

This turned out lovely, she's a lucky lady.

Hugs,
Meri

E said...

You had me with Miss Kitty ... but oh my the apron ... love it !! Somehow I missed the vintage pillow case apron, what I great idea. I hate to see those wonderful hand made pieces be ignored on a shelf, what a clever use. E in TN

GardenOfDaisies said...

The recipient is going to love it!!! You do such nice work. (And the little kitty in yellow at the top of your post is adorable.)

Hearts Turned said...

What a wonderful apron, Renee! She'll absolutely love it! Such fabulous attention to every detail...I love that you line yours...perfect!

Hope you're having a wonderful night!

Julie

Free Pretty Things For You said...

will you forgive me?? I haven't been here since forever!
So Beautiful as always my Dear!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Just lovely. I knew the kitty and cookies stitching would be delightful additions, but all your added details are just amazing. She's going to love it. Beautiful work, Renee.

Anonymous said...

Cute! I like an empire waist on an apron, that way I don't look "pregnant". :)

birdie blue said...

cutest apron ever, renee. miss gerri is going to l o v e it!
have a great day.
xo
~molly

Nan said...

Oh she will love this and also be surprised as to how 'substantial' it is, this is no flimsy apron that you make. I too just adore these repo prints from feed sacks.

donna said...

Oh my how I just love your apron. I know Miss Gerry will love it too.
Hugs
donna

Betty said...

I love how it turned out. That is such a cute way to recycle a vintage towel!

Tammy said...

Absolutely beautiful! She is going to be so thrilled with this!