Heavy skirts...that is what I have decided after making this recent apron. Their skirts must have weighed several pounds. I never thought twice when I lined the apron. It is just the thing I always do. But it added so much weight I might have to think twice about it next time.
I started with my obvious first choice. Thinking it would be darling in a vintage tablecloth I was quickly outsmarted by the layout of the pattern. Loads of fabric were needed. Darn I need to go fabric hunting....
This beautiful marigold colored vintage sheet was just the ticket. The pockets billowed just so on the skirt.
An addition of covered buttons and hidden snaps helped keep them from flailing open. I had to tame them just a bit.
A strip of vintage trim I have been keeping to give it a little design.
Although I prefer the button top on...it can be removed for skirt purposes only. It is a very full skirt apron. The skirt goes all the way around to the back and nearly touch to close. When I do it again I will decrease the skirt width by 5 inches on each side.
Rather than button the top to the bottom I chose sew in snaps instead. They were more demure and easier to use. It turned out very sweet and yet very heavy...lesson learned.