Two weeks ago I patiently sewed a sweet little pattern. I could not leave well enough alone and proceeded to deconstruct it, edit, and completely re-write it. Oh, I have my reasons. Although, I am not completely sure it is worth all the ripped seams and fabric remnants.
Several versions that just didn't quite thrill me.
The handles were too long. The felt clumsy.
The geometric shape didn't flow with the feminine curves of the hankies.
They always collapsed and fell flat.
I did however, like the vintage buttons additions.
Either in the front or on the handles. It gave them more weight.
This one is my favorite so far. With the addition of light interfacing I have been able to bulk up the cone shape. Shortening the handles and better spacing has made it sit better on a hook or handle.
Playing with the front placket has been the most fun. I adore these little inverted pleats.
I can see May baskets, Halloween cones, Christmas gift holders, Easter baskets...
Vintage trims and hankies. There is always something to be done with these.
Prototype on the left. Final copy on the right.
(Jess these are the pages in the McCall's Dressmaker book).
On my first attempt I used the traditional heart shape. While it is still cute it could be better.
Slimmer through the tip. Less fiberfill and more sand for weight.
These hankies are such beautiful pieces of fabric. Rich with pattern and color. They easily make a vintage statement in any room.
There were plenty of misses. My trash can was full of scraps. I knew I would get there but it took a little longer than I thought. I have nothing but the utmost respect for pattern authors. I can only imagine how difficult it is...and yet very rewarding.