Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pretty in Pink


Being height challenged at 5 feet tall, step stools are always a necessity.  To me vintage design is always better...a prime example can be found in the iconic kitchen stool.  These gems can cost anywhere from $30-$150 in this area.  I needed to find a way to get my hands on one for a budget price.  For that to happen I need to be patient and break out the tool box.


I spied something pink while walking through a vintage market store.  Surprised that they came in pink and even more surprised at the price tag of only $50, I  knew there had to be a problem.  A giant rip in the chair vinyl and the tread tracks were in poor shape.  But it was pink...rare 1950's pink...please take me home pink.  Put it in the car pink...and in she went.


I used some iron on vinyl in the perfect shade of Amy Butler pink.  You can get the laminated Amy Butler fabric now.  Then I set out to reupholster this baby and bring her back to her glory.


You see those circles, they have a metal tab that holds the seat secure.  I gently moved them to the side with a screwdriver and the seat popped off.  My first attempt left the seat too high with too much fabric underneath.  On my second attempt, I trimmed the fabric down on the underside and flattened it out with a duct tape seal for good measure.  The seat slid right back on and the tabs were bent back over to seal it secure.  


The tabs are tiny little suckers that you have to fiddle with, but its worth it.  The seat back goes on very simply.  You will find a couple screws behind the seat back that hold the fabric part secure.  Just remove them and replace the fabric as you would recover any other piece.

I picked the old black treads off the steps and they revealed untouched gorgeous pink paint. Some of the glue residue remained and I took it off with goof off.  It did not harm the paint in any way.  The painted steps looked better naked.

If you find one of these, now you know how easy they are to clean up.  I would do it again...maybe red or yellow.


Not only does my Murphy snore...he sleeps with his tongue out!  His Queen Anne spot is my favorite.  The saying goes that the dogs were stamped by the Queen for approval when the spot appeared on their forehead.  

A few days ago one of you sweet ladies left me a link to list 7 things about myself.
I apologize for not being more punctual. Some one please add 4 more hours to the day!

1.  I might be the most sarcastic person alive.  Along with the 4 other people in this house of ours.
2.  Love, love, love Jane Austen.   I read them over and over.  One of these days I will find that elusive Pride and Prejudice Vintage book copy.  This is what I am always looking for.
3.  I graduated from college in 3 years with a 4 year degree.  Yes I am an overachiever.  It is not always a good thing.
4.  Addicted to talk radio...I can get more done when I am not trying to watch t.v.
5. Also addicted to Dr. Pepper.  I have to have one fountain Dr. Pepper a day.  I am often asked if I have had my Dr. Pepper when I am grouchy!  Love you Amy.
6.  My favorite movies involve technicolor, Judy Garland and Doris Day.
7. The music on my ipod includes artist from Ella Fitzgerald to R.E.M.

8 comments:

birdie blue said...

love the step stool, renee. it turned out absolutely darling. why am i not surprised? you have the magic touch, girlfriend.

have a wonderful weekend.
xo
~molly

Nan said...

I ran down and took a digital of my step stool which belonged to my Mom. I will send it to your e-mail. I turned it over and see the same kind of tabs on the seat. I have fabric for a seat I could use a red/white check. Question, how did you manage to remove that rubber from the steps? I just realized I've never seen a photo of you on your blog I would love to see one ? Nan

Betty said...

Oh! I am so jealous!! Every time I see one of those stools I kick myself. I had a newer one and when my mother in law passed away years ago, she had a red one. I kept my new one and gave my best friend the perfect red one! What a dummy!

Blessed Serendipity said...

I love your step stool and I just LOVE your delightful blog! So much happy and cute here! I am your newest follower.

Danielle

Musings from Kim K. said...

Darling step stool make-over. Murphy is pretty handsome too. I'm back from my conference and looking forward to sneaking off to a few of my favorite thrifty/antique stores this weekend.

Happy Friday!

Mecky said...

I have never seen one of these in pink!!

I had a red one. Would you believe that I bought it about 9 years ago at an auction for a dollar? It is in good condition with the rubber still on the steps. Sadly, it sits in the garage since I am using a different type. Don't get me wrong. I really like it. It is so comfty. I switch out from time to time.
A couple of years ago, I pulled two old rusty ones out of my FIL's barn with plans to sand and repaint them. But I haven't done it yet!! I need to finish them so I can let someone else enjoy them.

donna said...

What a great find to bring back to life.
Hugs
donna

Anonymous said...

I've taken a personal survey over 3 decades! All the people I know who LOVE Dr. Pepper are FUN and CREATIVE, LIKEABLE people! I just LOVE your blog! Hugs, Patti