Friday, June 22, 2012

Creating a Distinctive Home in 1958


Deep in a pile of papers. On questionable high piled carpet. I dug this remarkable booklet out of a dingy cardboard box. Probably shouldn't have sat on the carpet but oh well the things we do for treasures.


I imagine a trip to Sears, Roebuck and Co. to purchase vacuum bags or perhaps a screwdriver set. 

The Mrs. on her way to checkout walked through the paint department dreaming of a new color for her den.


Mr. Sanders at the register offered up Sears latest color booklet to inspire her.


Could she talk Frank into Ming Blue?


After supper our Miss Kay will sit down and study every word. Possibilities are endless.

To be continued...next Friday.



7 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love reading things like this! I remember when! heehee!

Anonymous said...

Fun find! Life was different then! Love it♥♥♥

vintage grey said...

Oh, we do what we have to do to get those sweet treasures, even if it is dirty! Which makes it even more worth it! ;) This is such a neat find! Can't wait to see what happens! If only the times were still like this. Have a lovely weekend! xo Heather

Perfectly Printed said...

What a great brochure!! Sears had everything!! Love the graphics!

chris

Tammy's in Love said...

Oh my goodness! Warm colors, cool colors, it's so 'home ec' when I was in Jr. High School! Let us know when you create the perfect home floor plan will you? We would love to learn too!

Tammy

Kathy said...

Love this! I am a child of the 50s, maybe this explains why I think everything has to be color coordinated.

Unknown said...

Hi Renee, You know I just learned that all of these perky brochures were meant to keep women at home after they had to give up the jobs they took during WWII. A whole generation of cinched waited women falling in love with carpet. Who knew! PS Wish I lived then! Such a fun post! E