Friday, December 31, 2010

Greetings!

Image from Keren at http://www.freeprettythingsforyou.com/.  
Something new came my way.  I happened upon an old scrapbook filled to the gills with old greeting cards.  I haven't seen one of these in such good shape before.  Most of the time the cards that I run across are loose and no longer in books.  To my surprise this one is beautiful.  So beautiful in fact that I hate to take it apart.  My first thought was to take the cards out and file them away for crafting purposes.  Now that I have my hands on it, I feel like it is such a treasure in its state. 











Most of the cards are get well cards but there are greeting cards for each season as well.  These are just a few. The book appears to have belonged to a young women from Missouri who had an extended hospital stay and or illness.  Such care was taken to compile these.   I am loving all the names and penmanship.  

The original 39 cent sticker is on the front of the scrapbook.  The cards have to come out as they are browning from the paper.  I just hate to take it apart.  The greetings and sentiment that were so beautifully penned are one of my favorite treasures.  

Greetings for a Happy and Healthy New Year!





5 comments:

Patricia said...

I'm curious~~What does the inside say on the card that starts with "This friendship card..."? Those cards are awfully sweet.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Love the old cards. I have gotten a few scrapbooks and ended up taking the cards as well - mine were falling apart and the cards were falling out. I love to look thru them - the graphics just aren't the same on the new ones.
happy 2011

Nan said...

We are so much alike! I have this same type book found a few years back on Ebay. It contained all mostly all get well cards carefully put in the black pages with those little black triangles so as not to damage the card. Some Mother's Day and Valentines too. They were to a very popular lady a Mrs. Edith Piper who lived in Alexandria, VA. For a time she was in a hospital in Wash DC as well. The dates were on many of the envelopes which are spread through out the album in the early 50's. Lots of notes written to her inside as well she was so loved I wonder how this got into the public like that?
Nan

Unknown said...

Happy New Year's Greetings to you! I can't tell you enough how glad I am that you took the "plunge" to begin a blog and we can visit to be inspired each and every time. I would never have thought to spray paint old typewriter tables. They turned out super! It is such fun to see vintage items you have collected as well. I have never seen the Lefton baker boy. What a treasure! I am so looking forward to all you will share with us in the coming months! Elizabeth

craftyles said...

You are so lucky to have this wonderful scrapbook. What cute cards. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in 2011. Happy New Year!